I had a day off work today so I knuckled down and got some significant painting done on my Aeronautica Imperialis models.
This is bad news for my Warseer Tale of 40k painting pledge. I promised to paint 1500 points of Orks in a year but I skipped the first two months while I put the army together. If I miss another month I'll be thrown off the tale. The deadline is in two days time, so today I should have done the minimum I could get away with and slapped some paint on a Deff Dread.
Instead I painted my AI models. This is taking longer than I expected because the models are quite detailed and I want to do a decent job on them. When I finish both my Navy and Ork squadrons I will still have my Planetstrike terrain to start.
My current plan is now to drop the Warseer pledge but still paint the Orks, albeit after my other projects, probably after Christmas. That gives me about eight weeks to paint my AI squadrons, and build and paint my Planetstrike terrain.
Anyway, onto the aircraft!
I began with my Thunderbolts, adding some Calthan Brown camo stripes over the basecoat. I mixed in some Bleached Bone for the second coat. I also painted the tails Mechrite Red, then added Blood Red on the top.
After I took this photo I washed both the camo and tails with Devlan Brown wash. I also washed the metallic bits with Badab Black.
While the Thunderbolts dried I moved onto my Orks. I drybrushed the lot with Boltgun Metal and then went over the top with Mechrite Red, followed by Blood Red. You can see the basecoats in the photo below.
And the photo below this is with the Blood Red coat.
Once I'd painted all of the planes red I moved on to the markings. I used dags, checks and flames in different locations on each plane to individualise them. I used thinned down Dheneb Stone which gave good coverage over the red.
The checks were the hardest to do but because the pattern is on an Ork plane I figured I could leave it a little rough.
I painted the cockpits Gretchin Green. It had to be green really, given that they're Orks.
Since taking that photo I've washed all of the planes liberally with Badab Black wash.
So that pretty much completes my first two batches of aircraft and once the wash is dry I can start to actually play out some dogfights.