Thursday, January 11, 2007

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Warseer

The Warseer website grew out of the ashes of Portent. I use it for it's extensive forums.

One of the great things about the Internet is it's ability to bring people together regardless of their physical location. For many years I was a 'basement' gamer, playing games at home. I found my opponents within my own family, Gary - my gaming nemesis - is my cousin, or talking about my 'funny little hobby' and persuading people to try a game. The entire range of my gaming experience was half a dozen players.

Five years ago I got hooked up to the Internet and suddenly I discovered all of the millions of ideas every other gamer had had. I realised there were more armies out there and more ways to play them. There were more painting techniques and more conversion opportunities. And there were more campaign systems and ways to play the game than you can shake a stick at.

Warseer is one of the biggest forums out there and has a massive turnover of posts. This means I can dip into it every day, or even more, and any debates or discussions will have moved forward and new ones will have begun. Aside from the mass debate, there are two main sub forums I keep returning to.

The first is the news and rumours section. Perhaps because of the large number of posters, Warseer is often the first site to break news. For example, one of the latest posts discusses the possibility of a new Chaos codex or five. The poster Brimstone works very hard to collate all of these rumours, so much so that he runs a further sub forum called the 40k rumour roundup.

The second forum I use frequently is the background section. This allows me and other gamers to dig a little deeper behind the tabletop wargame and explore the rich galaxy of the 41st millennium. Maybe it's time to post my Chaos cult background...

No comments:

Post a Comment