Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Base desires

More progress on my Daemonic mount. This has turned into something of an epic. I really didn't intend to spend so much time painting it to such a high level. Still, it will be a centrepiece for the army so it'll be worth it in the end.

I tore the model from it's temporary base and glued it to the already complete lave base. Of course this exposed the unpainted feet which will need some attention.

I also need to glue the tail onto the model and paint it.

I'm well chuffed with the pose of the model. It looks very dramatic. I hope the rider will also be suitably imposing.

I had a devil of a job completing the Chaos star. I wanted it to look like a molten lava core, like the beast was burning with an inner fire. My first attempt saw me painting the star white and using ink washes to tint it orange and yellow. It was a disaster. Next I painted it red and orange but it didn't stand out enough. So my third and final stab was white and yellow. I then had to paint very fine black lines to tidy the outline up and then touch up the grey and red flesh. Whew.

I thought I might have to pin the feet to get the model to stand up correctly as the tab was too small for the hole. Then I had a light bulb moment. I took some of the blu-tac I had used to secure the model to it's temporary base and used it to line the hole. It worked like a charm and a generous blob of super glue finished the job.

I'm almost ready to tackle the rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment