Sunday, July 1, 2007

NEW MODEL FUND: Going back to the start

There have been lots of developments with the New Model Fund over the last week or so.

I sold two limited edition models on e-bay and pulled in almost £50 for them. I also sold a few other gaming related bits and bobs, many of them re-listed when they didn't sell first time around. It wasn't all good, though. I sold some old Dragon magazines for a pittance and the postage cost more than I made in the auction! Note to self: don't sell magazines on e-bay unless they are worth a lot of money.

Feeling flush I decided to splash out on the Battle for Macragge 40k boxed set. I got a few funny looks when I bought this in my local Games Workshop store (I have been playing the game for almost 20 years), but it does make sense, honest. The main reason is that I needed the softback small 40k rulebook. I have the large hardback but it is a pain to haul around, especially long distances to tournaments. I tried to buy this separately on e-bay but they were all going for around £15, much more than I was willing to pay.


I also need Space Marines to add to the Troops choices for my Blood Angels army. The Marines in the Macragge set aren't as detailed but will mix in with the other squad I got cheap and I can use some of the extras on that sprue to liven up their samey poses. A box of Marines costs £18 on it's own, and if I added that cost to the £15 for the rulebook I'd have paid £33. For the extra £7 I paid for the boxed set I have a squad of Genestealers and Termagants to tuck away for a future Tyranid army, a slew of one-off models like the field generators, pilot, spore mines, hive nodes and beacon. I also get the rather lovely crashed shuttle terrain which I am planning to use as scatter terrain for my trench table. Then there are the dice, templates and whippy sticks!



Games Workshop are often criticised for their prices but this box is a real bargain.

Anyhoo, here are the updated figures.
  • Total income from sales (and my penny jar) £342.36
  • Less selling fees £26.07
  • Less models bought £135.16
  • New model fund £181.13
So, despite my little splurge, I have still ended up with more in the fund than I had when I started. Result!

No comments:

Post a Comment