Sunday, April 5, 2009

PAINTING: completed Techmarine and servitors

I've finished my Techmarine and servitors.

I really enjoyed painting this unit. I got the Techmarine done very quickly over the course of six hours or so and it was very encouraging to see the results come together so quickly on a single model after a few months of painting entire squads.

The servitors were also a breeze in that there were only three main parts to the models; the metallics, flesh and suits and boots.

The metallics I did in the same way as the Techmarine and washed them with Devlan Brown and Gryphonne Sepia in addition to Badab Black. This made the metals look worn and used and very realistic. I painted chips of Mithril Silver on some parts to simulate battle damage and accidental knocks.

The clothing was also quickly done with just a base coat, highlight and wash.

I'm particularly proud of the flesh. I started with Tallarn Flesh and then mixed in Rotting Flesh for that pallid, unhealthy tinge. I added Elf Flesh to highlight the skin and then washed the lot with Ogryn Flesh. I then worked Red Ink around the places where the flesh met the metal parts to make it look sore and raw.

Just looking at the models now I can see I'm actually not 100% finished because I need to dot in the eyes. I'll do that later - it won't take long. I also need to add some transfers to the Techmarine.

I'll need to take some more photos for the Warseer Tale of 40k Painters, along with the whole army done so far but I thought I'd show them to all my readers first.

I know the unit will be rubbish on the table top but hey, they look cool!

The next unit on my painting tray will be my Terminators.

Stripping for profit
I'm very pleased to confirm I won't be taking my clothes off for cash.

I have in fact been stripping the paint from loads of my metal models. The Praetorians were my first priority, but there were also Catachans, Vostroyans, Commissar Yarrick and Tau as well.

Here's my current stripping set up. I'm using Nitro Mors in a glass jar with about 20 models at a time. Fifteen minutes is more than enough time to loosen the paint and then I use a toothbrush to get the rest off in the tub of cold water. I let the models dry on some kitchen roll.

Once I'm done I should have stripped over one hundred models in about and hour.

Pictorial battle reports
I put up one of my first battle reports with pics a couple of days ago so I thought I point you to it now in case you haven't seen it. It is a combat patrol with my Imperial Guard versus Chaos Space Marines which leads up to a 2000 point game which I'll post in the coming week.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sorry to state the obvious, but some people may not know this;

    After you've stripped and dried your minis, wash in quite warm water with just a little washing up liquid - rinse well with cold water and dry with a hair dryer. If you're intending to repaint those minis immediately this will ensure that your undercoat and base coat "take" to the mini perfectly as there will be no trace of the stripping agent left on it to muck things up and possibly contaminate your paint which leads to permanent problems in the pot if you're one of those people who undercoat using a brush.

    (also spray paint adheres better enabling you to use a much thinner coat and leaving more detail showing - this works well with forgeworld minis too which always have remnants of the agent they use to help free them from the casting moulds - just let the forgeworlds dry on their own - don't heat obviously!).

    Just thought I'd mention it - as for the servitors - I personally like much "greyer"/"pallid" flesh but otherwise like your skintones especially the "rawness" around the implants. Good Work.